We have been making round fused glass cabochons for some time now, but never tried to use them for much else other than stud earrings. With a little thought it seemed that they could be used to make a range of designs for more interesting earrings and pendants.
A few tests later I found that there were a couple of factors that influenced the final result.
This is the first time I have used liver of sulphur to patina my silver rings. I really liked the effects that that other people have created with this process so I decided to give it a try. Continue reading Using Liver of Sulpher
This is my second attempt in making a sterling silver cabochon ring. As you would have read in part 1, I had trouble attaching the sterling silver disc to a ring band. What learned was that I needed to purchase another tool, a third hand ( this has 2 hands on a mounting plate) so I order it and once I received it I attempted to make the glass cabochon ring again.
The third hand was wonderful to use I could hold everything with this so it left my hands free. It was so much easier to place the disc on the third hand platform and then use both of the hands to hold the band onto the disc.Then I placed solder around the disc and band applied the heat and it all solder wonderfully.
Once I had the ring made I quenched it and used a brassl brush to clean it up. Then I dried it with a clean rag and polished it with the flex shaft and polishing discs.
The next step was to attached the cabochon onto the ring. I used Araldite Ultra Clear glue to attached the cabochon.
After allowing the glue to set I had my ring.
Once I had made the large ring. I decided to also make a small ring with a small glass cab on it as well. Again I made the small rings the same way and as you can see from the picture it all went well. The glass cabochons were all made by Jeff.
I also made a stamped ring, with this ring I made the ring with 1mm sterling silver wire, stamped the small sterling disc before soldering in onto the ring.
Micro Torches are a great tool but you need to be aware that buying cheap torches from hardware or some where other than a jeweller suppliers can be risky. My experience from buying a cheap micro torch has made me realize this and that is why I’m warning you. Continue reading Warning Warning!! About Micro Torches???
Looking for jewellery making and silversmith work video tutorials has been an interesting task. The videos I have found vary from free, which you usually have to watch on the site, to paying for them so you can download them for future reference. Both have proved to be valuable, so I would like to share them with you. Continue reading Finding Silver Jewellery Making Tutorials
The subject of which glue to use for aanraku ‘Glue-on’ bails for jewellery is a common one and one that is hard to find definitive answers. The result of my research was confusion, mainly because there were many conflicting reports.
The most common glue used seems to be E6000, but while the majority of users seem to like the glue, there were also many that did not have great experiences.
To check my options I made note of other glues used and did find references to several. However, here in Australia I found it almost impossible to get these. No use finding a great glue I couldn’t purchase.
A check of our local outlets and some discussion led me to Araldite Ultra Clear as a possible alternative and it was readily available. I did call the company and ask which of their glues would be most suitable for my need and they did confirm that the Ultra Clear was the best solution.
So here are the results of my tests comparing E6000 and Araldite Ultra Clear.
While our Ozito Rotary Tool, which is basically a cheaper Dremel Tool, sort of did the job we purchased it for, we recently found a few limitations. The biggest of which is the limitation of the collet system. When I went to use a small diamond drill for drilling holes in fused glass cabochons I found there was simply no way the Ozito could handle the small diameter drill.
Looking through the accessories for an old Dremel that gave up the ghost I found a chuck, but it simply wouldn’t fit the Ozito. The shaft was slightly different. Extensive research proved that nobody supplied a chuck for the Ozito and we couldn’t find one online.
The last silver class I attended our project was a twisted sterling silver wire bangle. This project was interesting and fun.
First I had to measure across my hand so the bangle would go over my hand and on to my wrist. Unfortunately I have arthritis and it made my measurement quiet big.
The next step was to measure the wires to length needed. Once I had all wires at the length I annealed them.
While doing the bangle I was quiet nervous, as you do have to be careful not to over wind the wires. You need to keep heat on to the wires so the wire will twist. It does require some of your ceative juices, as you have to decide when to stop twisting and how you want the bangle to look.
This bangle required me to twist two small round wires together using a vice and a hand drill. Once they were twisted I then had to use a larger half round wire and attach it to the two twisted smaller wires. This was done with binding wire. Once the wires were attached, one end had to be soldered to secure the wires together. When twisting the larger wire with the smaller wires the heat had to be applied as the larger wire needed softening up so it would twist. When I finished I put it on and I did find the bangle a little big but I still think it looks great.