While our Ozito Rotary Tool, which is basically a cheaper Dremel Tool, sort of did the job we purchased it for, we recently found a few limitations. The biggest of which is the limitation of the collet system. When I went to use a small diamond drill for drilling holes in fused glass cabochons I found there was simply no way the Ozito could handle the small diameter drill.
Looking through the accessories for an old Dremel that gave up the ghost I found a chuck, but it simply wouldn’t fit the Ozito. The shaft was slightly different. Extensive research proved that nobody supplied a chuck for the Ozito and we couldn’t find one online.
As usual, being on a budget, when it came to buying a tile saw I opted to visit the local hardware and see what was on offer.
A little unsure about exactly what I needed, as I hadn’t actually done any sawing of glass with a diamond saw, I looked over the various saws available. Surprisingly, they didn’t have that many, but the price difference was substantial.
Guess what? I chose the cheapest saw and hoped for the best. Things didn’t go quite to plan, but they didn’t work out too bad either.
I used a tumbler for the first time at my last silver smithing class to polish the silver chain link bracelet I made. The tumbler seemed to polish my bracelet so quick. So I thought that I would do some research when I got home to find out about these tumblers. I spoke to Jeff about the information that I found including methods to polish glass. Jeff became very interested in the tumbler when he reviewed the information on tumble ploishing glass as this would make things easier for him as well. So we decided to go ahead and buy one with 2 barrels. This way Jeff could use one only for his glass work and I could use the other . The information I found explained the different materials I needed to use to polish my jewellry. This required shot and a burnishing compound. It took a little while to work out how to use the burnishing compound as there was no instructions to explain how to use it for jewellery. So Jeff rang around and found out that I just needed to add a small amount of the compound in with the shot and a small amount of water. I really hope this all works as I think it will save so much time.
A while back I mentioned that we were fortunate enough to purchase, at a very reasonable price, a large lot of Bullseye COE 90 sheet glass from a local business. As you would expect, our immediate problem was where to store it all.
You can see in this photo how we chose to purchase a set of shelving along with a number of large plastic containers. Well, the shelving is fine, but the plastic containers were a bad mistake.